Skip to Main Content

Raising a concern about a dental professional

The General Dental Council (GDC) can look into serious concerns about the ability, health or behaviour of a dental professional that suggest the professional could cause significant harm to patients, colleagues or the general public, or undermine public confidence in the dental profession.

Some common examples include serious or repeated mistakes in patient care, fraud, discrimination and any serious criminal offences or convictions.

We can also look into individuals who provide dental treatment (including tooth whitening), despite not being registered with the GDC. Please raise this with the Illegal Practice team.

Read more about what the GDC can and cannot look into.

You can either raise a concern with the practice where you received your treatment or NHS (but not both).

If you are unhappy with the service you have received from a dental professional, we recommend discussing your concerns early on with the individual or other management staff at the premises where you received your treatment. They may be able to sort the issue out quickly. This is generally the most effective method of resolving any concerns you have with a dental professional, especially if you are looking for an explanation, apology or refund for treatment you received. We can offer information about how to raise a concern with a dental professional or practice.

If you would rather speak to someone who was not directly involved in your treatment, and you are not sure the GDC is best placed to look into your concern, the best place to start is the NHS complaints team (if it was NHS treatment) or the Dental Complaints Service (if you paid privately for your treatment, and in the last 12 months).